Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Lessons from the Kitchen

I've unfortunately/fortunately been given more time to think this week, so I thought I would do some blogging and share some thoughts with you...

We are in a powerful series at church called Hustle and Flow and I've really been touched by Pastor John's messages over the past 3 weeks.  Basically we are studying the lives of His chosen people through 1st and 2nd Chronicles.  The theme of 1st and 2nd Chronicles is the chosen people's faithfulness vs. unfaithfulness, but the reality of the books is that even back in the Old Testament, He is always faithful even when we are not. 

If you've grown up in a believing household you're taught from an early age that His love is unconditional and that's really easy to believe when your 5 or 10 or maybe even when your 15 but as you get older and especially if you've strayed from the faith you begin to wonder if it is true but the fact is even people strong in the faith go through trials.  In fact the Good Book assures us that there will be hard times but it also reminds us that He is always faithful, faithful to a thousand generations.

Today after I recovered from shock after my teenager apologized to me for his attitude, I realized that we are really more like teenagers then we would like to admit. We get mad at "Dad" when things aren't going our way or our attitude gets all ugly when we think that something isn't fair and we pout about it for hours if not days. 

I don't know that I'm a good parent especially a good parent of a teenager but I do know that I love my children unconditionally.  My oldest has had some real struggles in his life and is really just now getting back on track.  We've had our moments over the past 3 years and yes I have had to distance myself from him but I never stopped loving him. 

My son has been struggling with his unconditional love for others since last Tuesday.  Apparently there is a kid in his class that he knows from a treatment program that he was in.  He can't understand why this "bad kid" is getting the same opportunity that he is.  Granted I don't know what this kid has done in the past but I can't get my son to understand that we all deserve a second chance, heck even tenth and twentieth chances.  I mean please, if we got what we deserved then even my son wouldn't have gotten the chance to get the same opportunity as the "bad kid". 

Yesterday I totally wanted to kick my son is the butt because of his nasty attitude but I didn't.  I had solutions to his problems but when I asked if he wanted to know and he said no, I shut my mouth.  This morning when he barked at me because I suggested that the frozen bread would be thawed by lunch time so using it would be fine, I didn't bark back at him although I hadn't had my coffee so not barking back was a God thing anyway. 

Although I am still convinced that my son was abducted by aliens, I think we can relate to his story.  He has the answers to the problems, He's just waiting on you to ask for help.  Although you deserve a swift kick in the butt, He's waiting patiently for you to stop pouting and look heavenward for direction.  Even though you got angry and barked at Him, He's waiting with open arms to comfort you and show you that there is a better way.

I've been stirred by the sermon series and especially this past Sunday's because it was about seeking Him and I've realized that lately I've done a really bad job of it.  I've gotten all wrapped up in myself, really feeling sorry for myself that things aren't moving the way I would want them to and after Pastor Leslie's surprise appearance on stage two Saturday's ago I see that yet again I've been trying to make Him fit in my timeline. 

(Warning, please do not come up to me in church and tell me "It's all in God's perfect timing."  If you do my unconditional love for you will go out the window!)

Anyway apparently He has decided to made room in my schedule for more time with Him and with others and whereas I happily make time for other people in my life, I am terrible at making room for Him.

I'm good at purposefully making time for people, especially people I love, but quiet time has always been a struggle because I am well aware that I am flawed and I'm always convicted about another one of my issues during quiet time and frankly none of us wants to hear about our obvious character flaws. 

Is your quiet time is lacking because He is trying to teach you something about yourself?  Are you like my son and often when you hear Him talking all you hear is condemnation so you stop listening or start defending?  This week even if it is a few minutes a day, take a moment and just listen.  Keep an open mind and just listen to what the Spirit has to say to you.  You might think it's condemnation but I promise that if you just listen a while longer you'll realize it's love.

No comments:

Post a Comment