Thursday, February 9, 2012

He is the controller of all things

After an hour of decompressing to my therapist, she looks at me and says, "You know all of these things you've just told me are completely out of your control.  Your homework is to make a list of things you can control."  My answer to her was, "Are you trying to make me feel better of worse?" She then says, "You need to feel empowered about something so you don't have to feel helpless about these other things."

So I started wondering what it was that I could control...

I don't like surprises so I tend to obsess about keeping things in my control.  I could tell you the sob story of my life and why I don't like surprises but I like to know when something is coming and not get smacked in the face by something I maybe could have done something about.  My biggest fear is lack of communication because without communication I can't see things coming and when I can't see things coming I feel out of control and that means something could surprise me and I don't like surprises!

Obviously the only thing I can control is myself.  I can control my actions, my thoughts, my feelings, my words, etc, but I don't know if that makes me feel empowered.

So what do you do when the world seems to be spinning out of control?
"I am above all things: your problems, your pain, and the swirling events in this ever-changing world.  When you behold My Face, you rise above circumstances and rest with Me in heavenly realms.  This is the way of Peace, living in the Light of My Presence.  I guarantee that you will always have problems in this life, but they must not become your focus. When you feel yourself sinking in the sea of circumstances, say "Help me, Jesus!" and I will draw you back to Me. If you have to say that thousands of times daily, don't be discouraged.  I know your weakness, and I meet you in that very place."  Jesus Calling
 I totally forget that when thing are out of control, I can call on the One who is in control.  I forget because, just like all of us, we want to do everything in our power but we soon find out that we really have no control over most of the events in our lives. 

In Matthew 14, Mark 6 and John 6 there is a story about the Son walking on water.  When the disciples see Him they are frightened, He calls out to them, "Take courage! It is I.  Don't be afraid."  Peter replies, "Lord, if it's you, tell me to come to you on the water."  The Son says, "Come" and Peter did.

Peter takes a few steps and becomes very afraid.  As he starts sinking he cries out, "Lord, save me!"  The Son immediately reaches out his hand and pulls Peter up and says to him, "You of little faith, why did you doubt?"

I know the Father is watching out for me.  I know He is willing and able to help me, I just have to ask for the help.  Unfortunately it's the asking that is so hard.

We don't want to give in to the fact that we can't stop the madness without help.  We want to do it all on our own.  We want to believe that we have all the power we need to control people and things that are really outside our control.  We only have control over ourselves and our actions, so we should use that control to open our mouths and ask for help.   

Use the control that He has given you.  Open your mouth and be heard On High.  Cry out to Him and He will answer.

No comments:

Post a Comment